Friday, January 13, 2012

Spring Clean with ME!! Week ONE

Spring Clean with Me!!

One of my friends has invited me to listen to tapes every week to learn tips on cleaning, and organizing. Of course this is something that I could always use. So, as I thought about this, I thought it would be fun to write out my notes and then people could do this too if they want to.

Week One: The master closet....

A. Make sure we don't believe our items are our identity.
B. Get started with a system with boxes/containers
1. Biffer box- out of here, and out to charity
2. Rubbish- Trash
3. To do box- return box, mending, or whatever
4. Elsewhere box- If something belongs somewhere else in the house, don't take the time now, take it around later.
5. Memory box - things that are memories
6. Keeper pile
7. Notebook- write down things that you need...things that you notice. - I realized that I don't have any khakis right now... weird

NOTICE: There is no room for things that are not for now...

C. Take every single item out of the closet, make decisions quickly on EVERY single item. Place them in a pile or box. One thing I learned on the tape was that we only need 7-8 outfits for every different part of our life. For example: 7-8 outfits for work, 7-8 outfits for the gym, 7-8 outfits for play. Then my question is, how many outfits for the stay-at-home mom who perpetually has buggars smeared on my thighs by my teething toddler?

D. Questions to ask:
1. Have I used this in the last year?
2. Do I like it 75% worth? (would I wear this 7 out of 10 days?)
3. Do I want it ? Do I have room to store it?
4. DO NOT LET THERE BE EXCUSES..

E. Where does it all go now?
When everything was out of the closet, wipe down the walls, shelfs, and vacuum. Clean it out.
1. Only clothes go in the closet
2. You are the heart of the home, make the home run smoothly-- give everything a place.

* get all matching hangers, make them all the same kind and same color.
*Get matching containers
* Color coordinate Dark-light
*Socks: buy packs of socks that are the same.

This is week one, good luck!!

2 comments:

Debbie said...

Okay, I just saw this this morning, but I still have time this week. If you're still doing it, I'm doing it with you.

Please keep posting the different weeks as they come!

Lorie Pierce said...

Ummm this looks like work ;). Actually I did this over the past couple years...took awhile to get throught the whole house...but was worth it. Good for you!